Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Contetment in our Gracious, Loving Lord

"Christian Contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit that freely submits to and delights in God's wise and fatherly disposal in every condition." ~ Jeremiah Burroughs


As I have walked through the different stages of my life, the Lord has again & again gently reminded me of the need for my heart to always be content. It isn't enough for me to remain at that same contented stage when I was a single woman in Pennsylvania, surrounded by friends & family as compared to now being a wife & homemaker with a sweet husband to serve. My contentment has had to grow & deepen in each new stage of life. I have had to learn the meaning of freely submitting to & delighting in God's wise & fatherly disposal in every condition.

When my heart is content, it is at rest. It is peaceful. I don't want to hurry to the next thing. My thoughts & conversations aren't filled with, "When _____ happens one day," or "When we are finally able to do _____ thing." Not that it is wrong to be excited & hopeful for what the Lord has planned in the future for us, but when my thoughts & words are characterized by that, I know that it is displaying a heart filled with discontent. A good desire is becoming a sinful lust & is filling my life with discontent.

The past months the Lord has been graciously reminding me again of my need to grow in contentment in this stage of life that Nate & I are at. By His grace, I am thankful for the growth & change we have both seen in my heart & I give the Lord all the praise for that!

I love that Jeremiah Burroughs quote & yesterday I was reminded of it again in a message from a sweet friend. The truthful, heart-focused reminder it gave me yet again, made me desire to share it with all of you & take some time over the next weeks to break it down, word-by-word, & share my thoughts on it & ask for yours. I ask for your patience with me, as my schedule doesn't always allow for consistent blogging. I will do my best. :)

Contentment is an area in which I believe we all need to constantly be examining ourselves & seeking to grow. Each step of life, each condition, each change ~ may we be faithful to seek the Lord & ask His help & guidance in transforming our hearts into those that characterize that beautiful Christian Contentment.


"....for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content....I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:11 & 13

No comments:

Post a Comment